Tuesday, July 31, 2007

More than food...

If you have started reading the blog from the bottom, you are probably thinking that I must be an obsessed foodie. Well that I am but that's not all that I am. Between meals, I try to while away time at an Investment Bank. I wont go into further or it is possible that a perfectly civil dialogue may turn into a rant.

However, it is worthwhile sharing the origin of my blognick. Why "bent" and why the focus on banker rather than a food related blognick? Well, for one, not all future posts will be food related. I needed an easy topic to break ice without sounding utterly self absorbed.

Banking (or to be more precise a job in a structuring group) over the last few years has bent my mind in many ways. Bent under the burden, bent over backwards to get to the destination, banker with a bent of mind, banker who thinks along the bent path, better bent into submission would all be appropriate puns. My job doesnt define me but it has bent my personality in positive and negative ways (point of introspection how we start deviating from our grandeur dreams of professional achievements shortly after we jump from the school into work pool - has that happened to you?).

Let me end this post by sharing the most important advice that someone offered me
"Take it easy. It's not your daddy's company".

This is another mantra that I have been trying to chant since I heard:
"What can the company do for you? Are you making it happen?".

My own take is that the key to longevity in this business is keep yourself mentally replenished and not get spent. Growing a tortoise-like shell comes in handy as well.

No comments: